Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My First Post Using New E-Machine Computer

This thing is so tiny, smaller than an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper! What is cool is that it is portable and easier to transport than a laptop. I bought it for my trip to Seattle so I can stay in touch with my office and the rest of my internet world, as well as blog my trip. It has a built in microphone and web camera, so I can actually take it around on the train and show people where I am and what I am seeing.

It has a built in wireless remote, but for now I am using my home internet connection for fast speeds so I can download and equip this thing with all the things I need before I leave next week. I hate the mouse pad but there is a little tiny mouse you can buy at Best Buy, so I'm on it.

I do have some things to blog about, but I'll leave that for the weekend. For now, I'm busy in the "install" mode.

6 comments:

Bob said...

What model?

Carrie said...

Scroll over the title of the post and it has a link to the computer site.

Bob said...

That sure is confusing. I was able to narrow it down to about a dozen possibilities at the Acer website.

Carrie said...

that's weird because the link directs me to the review of THIS PARTICULAR computer.

http://tech2.in.com/india/reviews/netbooks-laptops/acer-emachine-em250-kav60-netbook/109072/0

cut and past it. it should NOT direct you to the Acer website, but to a tech review of this particular computer, KAV60 (E Machine).

Bob said...

I was trying to find the excact same aspire one at a retail site.

Carrie said...

This one was made by ACER. My flat screen monitor is also by ACER. I bought it off the internet from Best Buy for $229.00 (about $260 after taxes and shipping). I pretty much spent Friday night and most of Saturday afternoon and night moving things from my regular computer to this little one. Since it has 160 gb of hard drive, I put all 35 gigs of music on it, many of my programs that I use (including my Desktop Themes program, and the 350+ themes that I have to choose from). I even have a program that changes the opening screen from the standard Windows XP to whatever picture I want to put on there. I moved all my icons and cursor files (hundreds of little icons and cursors). I have a tendency to change my computer's theme quite often (I put an Easter theme on the little one, complete with icons appropriate for Easter for the various desktop items). I don't keep the standard icons that come with a program once it's downloaded. My Winamp music player has an old hifi icon; I store my pictures that I use for the blog in a folder named, appropriately, pictures, and it's on the desktop with an old camera icon; my word processing program's icon is an old typewriter ... you get the idea. I've even created my own themes, using pictures I like, including my grandson. The themes program lets me control the colors of the windows, the colors of the lettering in any of the windows, the font face for everything possible (sidebar, desktop, menu, drop downs, etc.), the cursors (everything from the regular pointer to the text marker for scrolling, the "waiting in the background," the arrows that pop up when you minimize a window and then change the size of it (up, down, sideways). Even the sounds are controlled by the program, except I got tired of always hearing sounds when a window opens, closes, minimizes, etc. so I turn off all the Windows generated sounds.