Monday, February 22, 2010

I Think Three Trials In Eight Days Is A Bit Stressing LOL

UPDATE 2/25/10: Two of the three trials have gone away. One settled at the Mandatory Settlement Conference (we got money, but not nearly what we might have received had we actually had a trial, but the kicker was the judge decided to let the late filing of jury fees by the defendants, hence, we would have had to pursue a jury trial, and that would include jury instructions, not to mention at least a week just to seat a jury, etc.), and the other is stayed because one of the parties filed a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. The plaintiff in that case, (we represent defendants) has failed to fully prosecute it's very weak case, failed to appear at mediation, failed to appear at the post mediation conference, and I am pretty sure after the BK filing, will not be interested in following through with an adversary pleading, or a motion to lift the automatic stay.

So that just leaves one last case, a defamation case (libel AND slander, LOL) in printed media. We represent the plaintiff, the defendant individual and magazine have a weak case, and for a time, was rudderless, having had their attorney make a motion to be relieved as their counsel. New counsel thinks I should try the case (laughing) but we could settle if only our client was not so obstinate about his "retraction" requests.

Even if we do have to go to trial on that case, our next trial isn't until March 22, so I have a week at least to catch my breath!
----------------------------------------

"Trial is war. Second place is death." Quote from new television serious Shark. Spoken like a true attorney.

I'm working on three trials, two on the same day, with judges who each have different court rules regarding pre-trial documents to be presented at the final status conference. Four valium still only mildly kept me in line today.

3 comments:

Arno said...

Sounds like things are working out ok in the courtroom. Good luck with the third case. I've been enjoying the Eva in the meantime (I didn't know she did "Stormy Monday, wow!).
I understand there is a movie about her in production --- I want to see that movie. They'll likely dub her voice in (a good thing).
She is the ultimate unsung performer...

Carrie said...

Well, the trials keep me from from posting much, as I am generally exhausted and not wanting to go over the daily news and comment about it!

Glad you are enjoying Eva, though. Did you know who she was before my YouTube? The two songs I have up are from her last recording a few months before she died of cancer, at the age of 33.

I can't remember when I first heard her, but I believe it was her version of the song "Over The Rainbow," sometime in 1999. When I read that the song I had listened to was one of the recordings she had done, "Live At Blues Alley," I immediately went to work downloading the entire album. After that, I downloaded probably all of her work that I could get off the net (about 24 more tracks, excluding the Blues Alley recordings).

There's just something about how she plays and sings that touches me, and even makes me cry (but I think that comes with the fact that I know she died at an early age from an aggressive spreading of melanoma cancer). I haven't checked out what else is on YouTube, but if you really like her, go get her "Live at Blues Alley" album, it will knock you out!

Arno said...

I first heard her around the same time (1999-2000) on my local NPR-affiliated radio station, WUTC...they have a great eclectic musical "playlist", and she was talk of the town when they started playing her stuff from "Songbird", which, I believe, included "Over The Rainbow"... my favorite of hers is her version of Sting's "Fields Of Gold"... what a voice! She is one of those perfect voices like Lyle Lovett and k.d. lang...she did so many styles of music and made them her own, to our great bliss.