Saturday, January 09, 2010

The Good Old Hockey Game!

First off, hockey is one expensive sport, and requires dedication. Like 5 a.m. ice time practice because the arena is booked most of the day. Ice time for practice for kids is such a universal aspect of hockey, we hockey moms all know that early morning wake up. My kid had her bag, that she carried her equipment, and the vision of her, with her hockey bag over her shoulder and holding her stick in the other hand ... ah, the memories. Hell, I still have her first hockey stick.

Last night going to Pershing Square and watching the skaters, I was reminded of watching my daughter playing hockey when she was the same age as the kids in this movie.



Watching the movie The Mighty Ducks tonight, actually made me cry. Not because of the story, but because of the memories I have of my daughter training ... something the movie actually caught. These kids aren't pros that skate at that age, (well, unless your name is Gretzky) and they are simply amazing to watch, learning to play one of the most difficult of sports.

I may watch more football, and understand baseball history better than most people, but I cannot begin to explain my love of hockey. And, to be truthful, I probably know more about hockey than any sport. I remember once hanging out with the San Jose Sharks and the Calgary Flames in San Jose at a breakfast. True story (Tony knows it is), Theo Fleury says, "she knows more about hockey than you do," (meaning Tony). Ah, the good old days. After all, Tony and I met at a hockey game, when me and my girls were in New Jersey to see the Devils play (shit, right now, I can't remember what team, but it was not the Kings, which always intrigued him, as he knew I was a hockey freak). I do remember Bernie Nichols tossing a puck over the glass for us, during practice, though!








5 comments:

Tony said...

The Devil's game was against Pittsburg. You were in San Jose thanks to me. As for Theo's comment, I don't recall it, but it could have happened. I like the pictures from MSG. Hey why haven't you blogged about Harry Reid's racial comments?

Tony said...

One more thing, please learn to scan properly. You have a problem with sizing the photos. Bet you delete this post.

Tony said...

I just found pictures of us from the Thrasher's Inaugural game, 10/2/1999 in Atlanta, at Philips Arena. We met Greta VanSustran there. She was still on CNN then.

Carrie said...

I am sure between us we have hundreds of pictures of hockey games we've attended. After all, I was the prolific traveller when it came to hockey games, having been to probably ten or more NHL arenas, many multiple times, and at least five arenas when the IHL existed.

Tony said...

Yes, you did do quite a few road games. I've done every arena in the NHL, old and new. That was fun.