Saturday, November 14, 2009

Craig's List

I have never used the site, never needed to. But I have been aware of its existence, and how it is used from everything to getting a job, moving or selling things.

My daughter is downsizing due to the economy, and she's moved from a one bedroom to a single. My grandson had the one bedroom, and he had the full size bed that I had bought for my daughter a few years ago (she got a queen from one of her girlfriends and will NOT part with it).

So, I offered to buy a new twin for the grandkid -- but dang, I just didn't want to spend another $300 or $400 for a new bed (I already bought him one for my apartment at a cost of $425). Someone mentioned I should check out Craigslist.

Found a twin bed, three months old (tag verifies that), the owner would deliver because he had a van and was moving TODAY, and it was 90 bucks. I called, and two hours later, I had the grandkid's new twin bed, delivered. Damn!

I have decided to let my old, old, old stereo go, which I love, but it won't fit the new layout I have designed for my apartment. I recently purchased an HD television, flatscreen. Although my old stereo (I bought it in 1987) is in perfect condition, has those 24 inch tall old fashioned woofer/tweeter speakers, etc., it still plugs into my new television, and the sound coming from those speakers, when I want to watch say, Star Wars (or listen to music) is awesome, I am putting the television on a rotational stand, so it can be viewed from one of three different viewing areas in my apartment. And the old fashioned stereo with the big ass speakers just won't work anymore (sigh).

I was going to put some things out for a garage sale (like my really incredible old fashioned dinnerware -- Mexican influenced, with dishes that can go into the oven to cook enchiladas and stuff, very much like most Mexican restaurants, and I have a ten piece set, including large serving platters, eight of them) when I decided I should take pictures of some of my things, and post them on Craigslist.

Hopefully, I'll get some calls from people really interested in what I have, as opposed to those just "driving" by my place and seeing a "garage sale."

BTW, my stereo has AM/FM, video outlet (which is how I hook up my TV) a CD platform (where I hook up the MP3 player) and a double cassette player! I hate to part with it, but honestly, it has no function anymore in my apartment ... well it still does now, but I have to move the TV soon, especially since it is where the Christmas tree usually is placed!

1 comment:

Tony said...

I've been using Craigslist for about 3 years now. I love it. I sell everything from boats to popcorn on it. I even buy some stuff too. it's also a great way to get rid of junk in the "free" section.