Friday, February 27, 2009

Plastic Shopping Bags On The Decline

From Chris in Paris over at AMERICAblog:

Fortunately retailers joined the program and took action before the government was forced to step in. The reported 26% drop in plastic bags handed out is a move in the right direction. You see these hideous plastic bags scattered around the world in parks, in trees and bushes in the sea, under the sea, you name it.

I stopped using paper or plastic bags a while back, and bought four cloth shopping bags, which I keep in my rather large purse. I double them up, so in reality, it's like just two bags.

I am more European in my shopping habits. For instance, I never, or rarely, say I am going "grocery shopping." Instead, I refer to "going to the market." I also shop every day or every other day, preferring to purchase what I need for the day or two days, rather than shop once a week and load up on a shitload of stuff. I got into that habit about 15 years ago when I moved from central Hollywood to the Miracle Mile area, and parking was a bitch. Once I would get home from work and find a spot to park, that was it. I wasn't leaving the spot! So, I began walking the four blocks to the market (Ralphs, which was an Albertson's before it was a Ralphs -- everything here turned into a Ralphs -- there are at least three Ralphs markets within a two mile range of where I live). Even back then, I would request paper instead of plastic, unfortunately not for environmental purposes, but because paper was easier to carry than the lopsidedly loaded plastic bags. About a year ago, I stopped with the paper as well, and just bought the cloth bags that I "reuse" every time I shop, whether at a drug store, convenience store or the market. Some markets like Ralphs give you "green points" off of your bill if you bring in your own bags.

Now, if I could only find something for my trash containers that was biodegradable and not plastic.

No comments: