Monday, December 15, 2008

And What Book Did You Read This Week?

When I read Bob's blog, he's always talking about the books he is reading.

Last year I was alarmed by a report that came out that indicated most Americans had not read a book in two years. I was one of those Americans, despite having an extensive library at home with at least 100 or more books (not counting reference or coffee table books). I would go on book buying binges, and then maybe read one of them.

When I put my grandson into the art class at Barnsdall Park, I had an hour to kill every Saturday while waiting for him, plus another hour and half when we went to McDonalds for lunch afterwards (where he would play in one of those playschool contraptions they have for the kids).

The first week of his class was right when Paul Newman had passed away, so I brought along the People magazine and read it cover to cover, to kill the hour.

The next week, I brought a book. I looked through my shelves and shelves, and the book, Nights In Rodanthe, by Nicholas Sparks, caught my eye. I had no idea I had even bought it years ago, and now it was a movie, so I took the slim book and read that second Saturday. I finished it the following Saturday. It was a pleasing read, but I was not impassioned by it. When I get passionate about a book, I generally don't stop reading it until I finish it.

The next book I picked to read was entitled My Father's House by Bela Plavin. That one I started on the Saturday, but I actually had to read it to the end by Sunday. It was only 342 pages, so it was easy to finish it off in two days. The story was intriguing and it was a slow paced narrative, with a hint of mystery, impending doom/surprise/possible good ending around the corner.

Zaire's art class is over until I sign him up for new one in January. But, yesterday he wanted to go to McDonalds for lunch, so I looked for another book I hadn't read in my library. This time I picked Michael Palmer's The Society. Damn. I didn't even go to work today, so that I could finish it! It was 352 pages, an easy two-day read for me. When I read the acknowledgments about the people the author interviewed concerning managed health-care, a part of me wanted to put the book back. But, then again, I usually bought books for a reason, if I didn't read them right away. This book was very much like riding a roller coaster. Plot twists, fast paced, detective slash romance slash medical mystery, with an epilogue out of the movie Body Heat! The intensity of the storyline had me taking a Valium half way through (laughs).

There are, of course, many books that are just boring. The Nanny Diaries comes to mind.

I used to be a voracious reader. Between television and the internet, not to mention managing three blogs and having a full time job, and a weekend custody relationship with my grandson, reading books seemed to be a passion that subsided, especially given the many hours I would "read" the net.

I'm glad I read this new book, especially given the trepidation I had at reading the prologue and acknowledgments.

I don't have enough time in my day to really read, especially based on my need to finish the damn thing as soon as possible. But it has been fun finding time in my life to put reading back on the agenda.

Thanks, Rix, for the inspiration to read more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I do most fiction reading before I go to sleep. Routine of longstanding. That risks that page-turner, the book you can't put down. But most novels are episodic enough where you know where to stop for the night. Takes me longer to read nonfiction.