Friday, March 30, 2007

Hollywood On Fire











Huge ass fire today in Hollywood ... not in, at or near Universal City. The fire is buring right behind the Hollywood sign, and the news caption on television says Universal City! Cracks me up. Actually, there's no such "city" as Hollywood, Universal City, or even Van Nuys, for that matter. All are enclaves with unique name identification, but other than West Hollywood, Burbank and Glendale, every other "city" in the greater Los Angeles County area is part of Los Angeles County. The fire started up in the Hollywood Hills, and water from the Hollywood reservoir was utilized to put it out. It wasn't even close to Universal City, and was closer to Burbank for christ's sake. Isn't Hollywood just as recognizable as a name and city, as Universal City?

Stuff like that irks me. Like the Anaheim Angels calling themselves Los Angeles Anaheim.

My office is in Koreatown, and the view from the 13th floor north looking at the hills was awesome. When the fire was in full blown mode, it looked like a nuclear mushroom cloud. I was transfixed and had the tv on at work and was streaming a KTLA live video on the computer. When I saw it starting, I called it at Barham just above the Oakwood Apartments, much to the amazement of my co-workers. I've looked out that window for seven years, and know every inch of those mountains from sight.

UPDATE 8:41 P.M.: These are photos taken out the window of my apartment.








5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I could stare out the window all friggin' day at work! Must be nice

Anonymous said...

It does look like a hugh jass fire though!

Anonymous said...

That picture of the flat hazey cloud hovering above the big buildings of the city is actually really sweet. You better copyright that one.

Anonymous said...

Unless of course it ain't yours to begin with.

Anonymous said...

In that case hire a lawyer