Thursday, June 22, 2006

What's The Point?

It's stuff like today's reading in the news media that so sadly disappoints me, and makes me just want to move away from political blogging, and join my friend, DJ Rix, in putting forth a more personal blog, with occasional political rantings.

It's the Santorum WMD meme that has me grumpy. He goes on FOX news and proclaims a certain document proves that there were WMD in Iraq. The problem is that the document refers to stuff found in 1991. However, over the next ten years, Iraq was under scrutiny by the world to get rid of any of his WMD. That's why the inspectors were on the ground in 2000 and 2001, making sure that Hussein was not reconstituting WMD! And, after DOD spokesman debunks Santorum's claims, the new meme emerges that the reason this document was hidden and not declassified until now, was that the United States was protecting Russia, France and China! Because, apparently, those countries had helped Iraq remove and hide the WMDs. Ha ha ha..... sorry, it's funny because it's sooooooo mistakenly wrong. But, regardless, that's what they're going to say.

See, the problem I have with this is because of that approximate 30% of the American people that still believe there was a connection between 9/11 and Iraq. It is these people that are going to buy this bullshit, hook, line and sinker. I mean, come on! When the vice president continues to this day to make that claim, how can you put the onus on the public?

I can only shake my head in wonder, as I watch the right wing pundits lap it up as if it was the fourth of July already.

Sigh.

2 comments:

Bob said...

I'm too excitable to do political blogging. Have to read a lot of stinkin' news & get pissed off everyday in order to write anything.

Carrie said...

I know. Reading a lot of political stuff and getting pissed off just coincidentally happens to be what I do. It comes easy to write, as well, because, hey, I write for a living, and have for a good 15 years now. But, what gets me down is this constant state since 2001, where the Republican talking machine just pulls shit out of its butt. Early on, they got away with from the American public because they believed the shit. But now, with several general elections and two presidential elections behind us, and we are still hearing the same chorus from those in office, it just boggles my mind that anyone, and let me repeat that, anyone is still believing this crap.

And I'm even more perturbed that the Democrats aren't on top of this shit like flies.