Sunday, August 22, 2010

New RFK School To Finally Open At Old Ambassador Hotel Site

Photo by Damian Dovarganes


For years, I have watched the construction on the old Ambassador Hotel on Wilshire Blvd., which is being turned into a state of the art K-12 school, and which will open this fall as the Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools.

I am concerned about traffic, and the sudden influx of thousands of school children into what is essentially a business district. I am unaware of any vehicle entrance on Wilshire Blvd., as it appears the entrance will be off Catalina, and of course, my office is located on the corner of Catalina and Wilshire. And, since I do ride the bus, I am positive my bus rides will now include hundreds of kids going to and from school, which will make the buses very much over-crowded and unpleasant to ride. Anyone that has "enjoyed" a bus ride after school has let out and the bus is overtaken by the "kids" knows exactly what I mean.

But, the school itself is beautiful, and the remembrances of RFK's shooting legacy is all around. To a certain extent, I look forward to being able to walk over and sit on the public benches and just enjoy the atmosphere, not to mention the abundance of "green" grass everywhere!

No comments: