Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Runaways

Well, finally, a movie about the Runaways is premiering.

I have read the reviews and it appears to be based on Cheri Curie's book.

For personal relevance, I was a part of that scene. I used to hang out at the Sugar Shack in North Hollywood, which was an underage club (even though I was about 23 at the time) with my cousins who were the girls that were competitive with the Curie twins (Cheri and Marie).

I remember all the girls. We (my old boyfriend Howie) picked up Lita Ford hitchicking on the Ventura freeway onramp one night. There is supposedly a lot of Joan Jett stuff left out of the movie (Joan was "allegedly" gay, which I don't know is really true or that she just swung both ways, as we say).

But the Sugar Shack was where it all played out. Kim Fowley would be there. And when the DJ played "The Time Warp" from "The Rocky Horror Picture Show," we (those that knew the dance routine) would be out on the center floor, dancing and singing "let's do the time warp."

I know the sisters (Cherie and Marie) in real time. One of them married Steve Lukather who played in Toto, and was the guitar player on my cousins' album that A&M produced back in the early 80's. Even though the Currie sisters didn't really do much (I believe Cherie only made one movie, can't think of the name, but it was with Jodie Foster), Jett and Ford actually made a name for females in the hard rock venue.

It will be fun to watch the movie, even if it doesn't really depict all the realities I experienced about the girls, the band, and the Sugar Shack.

"Hello Daddy, Hello Mom .... "

No comments: