Thursday, March 04, 2010

The Death Of IE6

I thought this piece was funny! I am one of those diehards that have used IE6 until recently, when I kept being informed by sites I tended to visit that they would no longer be supporting this version of Internet Explorer, and that I would need to update to IE8, change to Firefox or Goggle's web browser. I had already tried IE8 and uninstalled it after it first came out, as I hated the layout, and just about everything in it. I finally switched over to Firefox rather than use IE anymore. It took some getting used to, but now I kind of like it.

I hate change in my computer world. I still have Windows XP on all my computers, although my boss recently purchased a "cadillac" computer for me, and it came with Windows 7 (the computers we purchased two years ago for the office came with Vista, but I had them all changed to XP). I decided to just bite the bullet at the office and learn to use the new Windows 7, which is ok. I also put Firefox on my office computer as well.

More than 100 people, many of them dressed in black, are expected to gather around a coffin Thursday to say goodbye to an old friend.

The deceased? Internet Explorer 6.

The aging Web browser, survived by its descendants Internet Explorer 7 and Internet Explorer 8, is being eulogized at a tongue-in-cheek "funeral" hosted by Aten Design Group, a design firm in Denver, Colorado.

The memorial service will feature a coffin holding a "body" that has an IE6 logo for a head. Attendees are expected to eulogize the Microsoft browser by sharing remembrances, some of which have already been posted on the company's online funeral invitation.

"I feel terrible admitting this, but ... I never really liked him," posted someone who gave his name as Eddie Escher. "He had so many hang-ups, and he looked awful -- especially in his later years. But... he was always there when you needed him. You have to give him that."

Give the piece a read. It's quite funny, and entertaining.

2 comments:

Arno said...

IMO, the only reason to use IE is for Windows Update, which requires it.
IE has certain advantages on a PC, mainly that it is fully integrated into Windows...but its suckiness behooves one to use another browser. Firefox is not perfect, but far better.
Like I said, in my opinion. Buh-bye, IE6 (and Starbucks, too)...

Carrie said...

I blocked all Windows updates, so I never had any of the problems associated with Internet Explorer. But, since it was moving to the extinction world, I had to make a choice. IE8 sucks, and I won't support anything google, so firefox was the default choice.