Wednesday, March 24, 2010

2010 Might Be Another Banner Year For Democrats, After All

You know, I was pretty sure I was just going to sit out the 2010 election this year because, as most of my readers know, I am not a fan of Obama anymore, based on his lack of progress on his promise of changing America. And, I'm not buying any logic that being president is "hard work," either.

Also, I was pretty sure, based on what most of the liberal and progressives were touting on their websites, that we all felt the same way, and were willing to let the Republicans take over the majority, even if it was by default.

However, unexpectedly, for all of us, the teabaggers came along. They don't really bother me, except for their lack of knowledge about government and their deep reverence for all things Fox. But, they are a problem for the Republican party, because the teabaggers hate many Republicans, if not most, as well.

So, if you add that to the mix, plus the recent actions in the Senate by the whining Republicans who are refusing to let government do its job (never mind the fact that all the Republicans in Congress have en masse voted no on every bill, regardless of how much the Democrats, much to liberals' and progressives' chagrin, catered to their needs and wishes), it's not looking so bad for the Democrats this 2010!

The teabaggers represent a MINORITY of Americans. Fox news (as well as the right wing hate talk radio shows) coupled with all print media (right wing or liberal) and TV (cable and non-cable) only reach approximately 10% of the 300+ million Americans. See my post here from 2008 that indicates 90% of Americans do not get their news views from quote main stream media unquote.

There are more registered Democrats than Republicans, and the base of the teabagger movement is close to 100% Republican in origin (give or take a few percentage points). Which, pretty much rules out any effective takeover of Congress in 2010 by the Republicans!

The party of no, of violence, of intolerance, of hatred, of racism, of bigotry, of homophobia, of war, of religiosity, of lies, of deception, of greed, of white power (I could go on, and on, and on) will most likely not be representative of this country come 2010. They simply don't have the numbers, despite what the main stream media tries to say to the 10% that watch/read/listen to them. And, with Jerry Brown in the mix for Governor of California ... (grins) I guess I might have to just go to the polls in 2010 after all!

4 comments:

Bob said...

Newt's one brilliant idea was to treat the 1994 midterms like a presidential campaign. Newt correctly guessed that a high Repug turnout would beat Democratic midterm indifference. Clinton had been elected with 43% of the vote, & had not yet really gotten a grip on the office. Newt saw the vulnerability. So what may have been modest Democratic losses became a rout. That doesn't has to happen this year. Obama is a majority prez, his health plan passed, & he's not being investigated for real estate deals or screwing around. Brown was, I think, a fluky win, & everyone in Jersey knows why Christie won. Christie is not a Tea Party guy. I think Democrats can run with health reform. It's the economy that'll tell the tale.

Carrie said...

I cross-posted this at The Smirking Chimp and you should see the reaction I got from someone whose screen name is Ms. Marple! She must have been a school teacher. I felt like I was being read passages from the Encyclopedia Britanica. Check it out. I thought the piece was a light hearted take on the "let's all stay home and let the Repugs win" but she managed to turn it into "brown shirts" and "Mugwurts," et al.

Arno said...

Got a kick out of your post (love the Smirking Chimp) and the responses...I can relate to several of the views expressed.
I don't have a problem with anyone sitting out an election on principled grounds. I have before, myself. Much different than just being apathetic. Miss Marple didn't seem to catch that...my thirtysomething son, on the other hand, is as liberal as I am (I must have done SOMETHING right!) yet is so cynical about this system that he is feels pressed into inaction...on principle. As you pointed out, we haven't had credible one-person-one-vote for a long time. If ever. So it's tough for me to guide him back to participation. But, try we must.

The tea party thing could not possibly have come along at a better time, in order to show the ignorance of the Republican base. It is a little hairy, though, when you have vast majorities of these people around you, like here in Red-Land.

I do like the chances, though, I just hope some real progressives step up to the plate for office!

Tony said...

Here is an interesting article that you should read:
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=915922&category=OPINION&TextPage=1