Saturday, January 02, 2010

What I Read Today

Many of my readers know that when I start a book, I generally finish it the same day I started it.

Today, Zaire wanted to go to McDonald's for lunch, the one with the playground. I find that when I go to Micky D's, and let him run around for an hour to two hours, it helps to have a book. I did try some People magazines once, that was joke. Hardly read anything in them, finished them up in less than half an hour, and then tapped my toes waiting for time to be up so I could drag Zaire off the playground and go home!

I started another Belva Plain novel entitled Crossroads. I read for about an hour and a half at Micky D's, got home at 4 p.m., read until I finished it about ten minutes ago, except for the half hour I took to make dinner for Zaire! The book was 322 pages, and like the other Plain novel I read in one day, Her Father's House, was exceptional. Having read two of her many novels, I am getting her "style," which involves the main characters saying things, and then in italics, their thoughts are written out. Of course, there are stories intertwined in each of the novels, but the writing style is beginning to be understood by me.

I tried to buy one of her books for a friend for Christmas, but at the only bookstore I had time to get to, Barnes & Noble, they only had her works in paperback, and I abhore paperbacks! Obviously, I am going to have to scour online book stores to buy any more Plain books, but it will be worth it.

Ever since I read that poll that said many Americans haven't read a book in two years, I've definitely increased my book reading, although, I doubt I'll ever be the book whore DJ Rix is (laughing!)

No comments: