Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Too Many Computers

I am really old school when it comes to technology. I am there, ahead of my peers, but I tend to cling to earlier versions of things I like until I'm told (by the computer) that my program will not run until I upgrade!

In the years between 2001 and current, I started dabbling in the art of building computers. I have a better grasp of the hardware than I do of the software ... still have never installed Windows, always let my partner do the OS shit.

I've amassed a shitload of computer parts. My office is fully decked out, but ironically I have the only old computer, which none of the parts are compatible with the new stuff. But, hey, in the 9 years I've worked at my office, I've never had a virus, while everyone else has had to have stuff done to their systems because they got fucked up by some virus (laughs).

Well, for whatever reason, my boss brings in this top of the line HP quad processor puter with Windows 7 and says, "here, I got you the Cadillac version."

I've had the box on the floor for a week now going "holy shit" why me? I already upgraded at home and gave my 9 year old self-built puter (which had 1 gig of RAM 9 years ago, LOL) to the grandkid, now I have to look at wasting a perfectly good old school puter for this Windows 7 faster than shit puter. (I still have my first IBM XT bought in 1986, but it was a 1984 version ... still has WordPerfect 5.1 on it, and if I am in the mood to get an old school floppy, I can still use it in conjunction with my "Cadillac" new age computer ... how weird is that?).

So, I finally relented and installed it as the work puter for me. First off, it's wireless, and I had to change my home to office communication tools, plus I still don't know if the newer puter will accept my Desktop Themes program. But even if it doesn''t, I don't change the themes at work like I do at home (hell, I've got over400 themes to choose from so I have more than enough to change it every day, which I used to do ... but I'm not as anal about the themes these days).

Well, long story short, my office computer's parts are still compatible with my 9 year old home puter with the 1 gig RAM, which is currently having problems and showing its age. I brought the old office puter home, and it has three slots for the RAM, so I can actually boost it to 1.5 gigs, and all I have to do is take out the wireless card and the other new stuff I put on the 9 year old puter (new DVD/CD player/recorder) and put them in old office puter, and my grandson will have a faster old school puter than anyone around!

I've got to learn, though, to stop keeping these old computers. Next week will be an interesting test of "adapting" as I start to use the new HP Cadillac.

Hell, I've even decided to dump using my old Sidekick with T-Mobile and go with a Blackberry using Boost's $60 a month prepaid plan, that includes 3g technology, which I keep waiting for the prepaid T-mobile to offer. Funny, the BB is cheaper than my Sidekick, and has more to offer. I figure since I'm progressing into 2010 technology, might as well ditch the old school cell phone.

UPDATE: 5/29/10 - I still have my Sidekick. Never did buy he BlackBerry. Instead, I opted for a new netbook computer. But after using it for a long trip, I ended up giving it to my grandson to take home (since he no longer has his own computer at home and his mom hogs her computer and rarely lets him use it). It was funny ... he said to me, "grandma, you have THREE computers here, and I have none. Can't I have this little notebook, PLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSEEEE??????" How could I resist, especially when it mostly sat on top of the tower unused under my desk!

I still want the BlackBerry, but I'll wait a few months. Maybe buy it as an Xmas gift for myself. Better yet, make my daughter buy it for me!

2 comments:

Elliott Bellaire said...

Hahaha! I'd rather buy a notebook than buy a new phone. Like you, I'm very old school when it comes to gadgets. I just use stuff that I'm comfortable with, whether it's old or new, like my sidekick and my PC. It makes my life easier!

Carrie said...

I eventually gave my Sidekick to a teenager under my new program called Santa's Elves. Basically, my friend and I have taken all my old computer parts and gadgets (including old cell phones, televisions, DVD players, etc.) and have begun to refurbish them (take the best of the old parts and create one good item), which when completed we give away to a family that needs, but can't afford, to buy the item(s). I ended up buying a Samsung Intercept, on Virgin Mobile, with 3G, wireless, and a pull out QWERTY keyboard. Love the new phone!