Saturday, November 28, 2009

Can't Pay Your Student Loan? NY Now Bars Admittance Based On Unpaid Student Loans

Hmmmm. A sign of things to come, as the cost of getting a college education increases significantly.

According to an article in the New York Times, Robert Bowman will not be admitted to practice law in New York because he owes almost $500,000 in student debt. According to the decision by a panel of five New York judges:

“His application demonstrates a course of action amounting to neglect of financial responsibilities with respect to the student loans he has accumulated since 1983,” the judges wrote in a decision issued late last week. They went on to criticize his “dealing with the lenders.”

4 comments:

Bob said...

1983?

Carrie said...

I followed all of the links but couldn't find much more information than was in the original article. My take is that he probably worked a full time job and did the school thing over a long period of time (that's what I had to do, with a kid to support). Plus, I took time off from going to school as I needed a break. 40+ hour work weeks with three hour classes at night, three nights a week, can really beat a person up. Sometimes I only took one class a semester. At that rate, it takes a lot of years to complete a four year education. Of course, law school requires one to commit more to the school part and less to the work part. It is wierd that it took him 26 years to get to the point of passing the bar, though. He is appealing the decision.

Tony said...

Something tells me there is more to this story then is listed here. Of course that is just speculation on my part. I did read this was his 4 attempt at the NY Bar. My guess, and its just a guess is that he had times of employment and did not make any payments, but I could be wrong. Just having a student debt load should not prevent one from having a career, that would defeat the purpose of taking on the debt. These stories make me even more greatful that my parents prepared for my college education and I graduated without any debt. They even covered my graduate school. I was lucky. Here is another article on this topic:
http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-money/blog/college-solution/student-debt-a-400000-mistake/1108/

Tony said...

OK, I found another article which gives a better explanation on this case, but there are still somethings missing in the timeline. The wa I add it up, there is still about 10 years not accounted for, but 16 years since 1983 are explained. http://www.jdjournal.com/2009/11/30/new-york-bar-denies-applicant-based-on-large-student-loans/

There is not much information about this case on the net, so thank you Carrie for bringing this story to light.