Wednesday, August 05, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance, Finale

Yes, that is my ticket! I was at last night's taping of the finale of So You Think You Can Dance, probably (next to Survivor) my favorite reality show. I have watched it religiously since its inception. Of course, after the show airs tonight, tomorrow night's show will reveal the winner.

Being from Hollywood, and with a past in show business, I never go to tapings. If you've been to one television show taping, or have been on the set of a movie shoot, you know that it is hours and hours of waiting. Movies are no fun at all, because it may take them three or four hours to set up a scene that takes all of 30 seconds to actually film (or shoot). Television shows, like sitcoms, are boring because, in a way, like film, they have to set up the shot, then film it. With television, lots of mistakes are made, which are the only real fun for the audience -- the bloopers, as it were.

For a television show taping, I have to admit it went rather fast, and aside from something that I am not sure is going to be actually shown on either tonight's show or tomorrow's show, there were no retakes -- well, one when Kat screwed up her lines and they reshot it. There was a mistake (the music tape stopped) on the Chorus Line "One" routine that was choreographed by Debbie Allen, but I am not sure if this was for the audience (touted it as something special not being shown on the program) or we were just told that. Either way, after the tape broke and they had to reset it to start the dance from the beginning, my posse and I left. After you have seen Chorus Line a zillion times, there's really nothing special about it to make us stay after we had been there for five hours.

Actually, about two thirds of the way through, one of my buddies and I left the Kodak Theater and found a bar and had a couple of drinks, then went back in time to catch the last dance routine. I think we only missed one routine out of all of the routines performed.

Still, for me, it was just kind of cool to actually be there, and watch the performances live. I like it better on TV, but the atmosphere was intense, since it is generally filmed at CBS, but for the finale, it was at the 3,000+ Kodak Theatre, so we were, as an audience, VERY LOUD!!!!

I did find it funny after the show was finished the guy that does the warm up and talking to the audience said "now, don't go home and vote!"

1 comment:

Bob said...

I lived across the street from a restored movie theater occasionally rented for TV commercial & movie production, inside & exterior. Watching, I learned two things: The catered food set up outside usually looked pretty good. & there were crew who worked very hard & crew who worked intermittently & not very hard (many of the latter carried around clipboards).