Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day, 2009



Memorial Day in the United States is the day set aside to honor those that have died while in the military.



I am glad Obama lifted the ban on showing the caskets coming back from Iraq and elsewhere.



On this day, I will refrain from bashing Bush (or Obama for that matter), and just say my prayers and be thankful that men and women of all ages have sacrificed their lives for the United States of America, and for many of the freedoms I enjoy (although they are shrinking, the freedoms, that is).


For many, this is considered the start of the summer, and the barbecue comes out. There are parades in various cities. The Los Angeles Marathon was changed this year from being run the first Sunday in March, to today. Also, Memorial Day used to be May 30, but was changed in 1971 so that it made for a three day weekend. The moment of silence observe is generally at 3:00 p.m. (local time). I will be silent after I put this post up, at around 3:00.

It's also the start of the gas gouging. I noticed the price of gas creep up over 25 cents the week leading up to this weekend.

No comments: