Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mike Doogan Is An Asshole

I read this piece in The Washington Monthly (posted by Hilzoy) about Mike Doogan, an Alaskan state Representative, outing the identity of AKMuckraker whose blog is Mudflats.

Only a handful of people who read my blog know my real identity. Hell, recently my own boss at work called me Carrie, much to the laughter of the rest of the office.

Carrie Cann has been my pseudonym for nearly 12 years, and everything I have written on the internet and on my blog in those 12 years bears my Carrie or Carrie Cann signature. I cannot fathom why anyone would give a shit about my "real" identity, as it has no bearing on my comments on the internet or my blogging. Even when I had a hockey website in 1998-2000, I still wrote under the name Carrie Cann.

If all I am doing is commenting on the politics of the day, with a dash here and there of personal stories and music, why should anyone care what my real name is? If I had a larger goal in mind, or wanted to enter the political arena as a viable candidate for an office, or step up and write for a legitimate newspaper, that would be a different story altogether. But to obsess over the identity of someone who simply comments on the news, especially when that obsession is by someone who does hold a political office -- isn't there more on that person's plate to do in these political times than to try to out an anonymous blogger?

You'd think, eh?

No comments: