Friday, October 31, 2008

HAPPY HALLOWEEN


I thought this was funny. I downloaded it about three years ago. As most of you know, my grandson has his own blog.

I was supposed to take him out tonight for the trick or treat event, but I was sick for the past two days, and my daughter did not want him to catch it, and then pass the cold on to her (which would make her miss school, which she really cannot afford to do). Sigh.

I live in an area where there are no kids knocking on the doors because it is secured apartment buildings with security codes, so no one bothers to come by. My first few years here were weird because I had never experienced NO ONE coming to my home for Halloween. I've gotten used to it now, but with a 6 year old grandson, who has at least another four more years of trick or treating events ahead of him, I look forward to next year being able to dress up and take him door to door, albeit in another neighborhood!

For those that haven't bought into the really archaic concept that Halloween is somehow against Christianity and supports satanism, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!! The rest of you really need to check your priorities.




6 comments:

Bob said...

As a kid, I don't recall thinking, "Wow, it's Samhain." I thoughr Halloween was American, like the 4th of July.

Anonymous said...

Remember the Halloween you took me to West Hollywood for the parade. That was a trip. We had so much fun. Sometimes I wish i could be creative to come up with a crazy costume. Tonight is my great niece's 1st birthday party, costume required. In keeping with the theme I bought a giant baby boy costume. I know what you mean about trick or treaters, where I live I only get 6. Whe I lived in Dover my bell rang all night.

Anonymous said...

Oops, almost forgot, I hope you feel better soon.

Carrie said...

West Hollywood, or Boys Town as most of us call it, was a section of Hollywood bordering Beverly Hills, and which was predominantly populated by gays. It incorporated in 1984 as a city, took the name West Hollywood and was the first city to have a city council that held a gay majority. It is, of course, most well known for its Halloween celebration, where the streets are blocked off and hundreds of thousands of people show up in the most outrageous costumes ever.

And, I am feeling better, thank you.

Carrie said...

Me, too, Bob. I think it's only been in the past 15 years or so that a certain segment of Christians have decided that Halloween is a satanic ritual. I remember, in both the public and Catholic schools I attended, we made up decorations in class for Halloween, and we were encouraged to come to school in a costume! Now, many schools avoid it altogether, which I think takes all the fun out of it for the children. After all, it simply is a costume oriented, candy driven holiday!

Carlo said...

I agree with the costume oriented, candy driven idea. In some places it is more aptly called a 'costume (or lack thereof) oriented, alcohol driven holiday'. I mean, what would Key West be without FantasyFest???

....more Guinness, please???