Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Fire At My Place





I was at work when one of the attorneys came in from having his car worked on at the dealership on La Brea Ave. near 6th St. He says there is a four alarm fire at 6th and Detroit, and I just about lost it! I live on the corner of 6th and Detroit, and started freaking out. I got a ride home (since I take public transit) and by the time I got near the area (the streets were blocked off), all I could see were about 30 fire trucks and ambulances and assorted fire vehicles all going up to my building. I started running, but as I crossed La Brea, I could see that it was not my building, but the one next door. The fire department was using my building to pull the hoses up and over.

Man, what an afternoon.

UPDATE: I saw the news, and I am still totally amazed the fire was contained as fast as it was and my building did not catch on fire. It was a 4 alarm fire, 30 fire units, and about 200 firefighters. I'm going to tape it off the news tonight and see if I can capture some video off the TV so I can post it.

UPDATE II: L.A. Times has a video up, shot from the air. Damn.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Scary close call.