Sunday, July 08, 2007


Like millions across the globe, I watched bits and pieces of Live Earth yesterday. And also like millions across the globe, my feelings were ambivalent. Not toward the concept or reality of global warming, just why do we need another gigantic musical event to press this point.

I was reading this article, and I think the author(s) did an excellent job of dealing with the cynicism about the greenness of the event vs. the awareness factor of the event.

Live Earth's success will be measured not by the number of trees the initiative plants or the number of energy-efficient light-bulbs sold as a result, but by whether it motivates concertgoers to make climate-change their generation's political priority, and press their leaders to act on it. Al Gore and company deserve credit for putting forth a 7-point pledge for concertgoers that includes a demand that countries join an international treaty mandating a 90% cut in greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. That will only happen if voters reward politicians who fight to cut carbon gas emissions, and punish those who don't. "It's not what we do today that matters," says Live Earth Tokyo's Nakajima. "It's what we all do tomorrow, and all the next days after. That's how we'll know how successful Live Earth really is."

The 7-point pledge is

Demand that my country join an international treaty within the next two years that cuts global warming pollution by 90 percent in developed countries and by more than half worldwide in time for the next generation to inherit a healthy earth.

Take personal action to help solve the climate crises by reducing my own C02 pollution as much as I can and offsetting the rest to become “carbon neutral.”

Fight for a moratorium on the construction of any new generating facility that burns coal without the capacity to safely trap and store the C02.

Work for a dramatic increase in the energy efficiency of my home, workplace, school, place of worship, and means of transportation.

Fight for laws and policies that expand the use of renewable energy sources and reduce dependence on oil and coal.

Plant new trees and to join with others in preserving and protecting forests.

Buy from businesses and support leaders who share my commitment to solving the climate crises and building a sustainable, just and prosperous world for the 21st century.



Two of the above I can do already without altering my lifestyle much. I can also, given my habits, search out earth friendly business, and I am pretty sure I can plant a tree somewhere. The hardest, but most import part, is the first pledge ... demanding that my country join an international treaty within the next two years that cuts global warming pollution by 90 percent in developed countries and by more than half worldwide. Given this administration's stance, it's just been impossible. However, I do feel that with a Democrat in the White House after 2008, I have faith in one thing the new president will be able to do -- bring this country up to par with the rest of the world's concern about global warming, putting this country at the forefront of a commitment to Earth.

No comments: