Saturday, April 14, 2007

Aloha, Don Ho


Don Ho died today. Many, many, mainlanders know him for his famous Tiny Bubbles ditty.

I've tried to find something on YouTube, but to no avail.

As many readers of my blog know, I have a connection to the islands, starting with my granparents living there in the mid-1960's. It was at that time that I learned to do the hula and play the ukelele, and speak a bit local Hawai'ian. I moved there in the mid-1970's but did not like it, and returned to the mainland.

One job I had in the 70's on Ohau was as a cocktail waitress in Waikiki at this piano bar that was open after hours, serving booze and pupus (that's h'ors deurves in Hawai'ian). So, all the local entertainers and the stars that were performing, generally dropped in after their gig. I remember Don, as he never ordered booze, but he wanted a glass of soda water, and a pack of cigarettes (cannot remember if they were Winstons or Marlboros, after all these years). So, I always had that ready when he was at my station, and let me say, Don tipped well. One night he had hosted some friends (again, he wasn't drinking but he was running the tab for the friends) and his tip pretty much made my weekly rent! (Yeah, at the time, I was staying in some sleezy motel, with weekly rent).

Aloha au iĆ¢ `oe. Hana hou!

No comments: