Saturday, July 15, 2006

"We certainly would not want to have same kind of democracy as they have in Iraq, quite honestly."


BUSH: I talked about my desire to promote institutional change in parts of the world, like Iraq, where there’s a free press and free religion. And I told him that a lot of people in our country would hope that Russia will do the same thing. I fully understand, however, that there will be a Russian-style democracy.

PUTIN: We certainly would not want to have same kind of democracy as they have in Iraq, quite honestly.

[laughter from audience]

BUSH: Just wait.

Little press conference held at the G8 summit today, with the above exchange taking place between Bush and Putin.

Free press and free religion in Iraq? When did that occur? (looking under my desk) Nope, no free press or free religion here. (looking out the window) Nope, no free press or free religion here.

No comments: