Friday, December 16, 2005

Friday Random Ten


I was watching "Without A Trace" last night, and as it faded out to closing credits, Otis Redding’s "Try A Little Tenderness" began to play.

"Oh she may be weary, young girls they do get weary, wearing that same old shabby dress."

My mind immediately recalled a time when I was 15 or 16 years old, and dancing at the Cinnamon Cinder, in Long Beach. It was a dance club, and it had live entertainment as well. We were underage (there were three of us girls), as you had to be 18 to get in, but that never deterred us. We would hitchhike from Belmont Shore to the traffic circle on Lakewood Blvd., where the Cinnamon Cinder used to be located. We would get dropped off in the parking lot, and then we would bum money from people to get the cover. Once in, it was dance, dance, dance.

When I checked my Otis Redding MP3's, I noticed I did not have "Try A Little Tenderness" and decided to download it in the morning.

When I downloaded it, and played it in its entirety, instead of remembering my teen dancing days at the Cinnamon Cinder, the image of "Duckie" from "Pretty In Pink" came into view. And when Otis belts out "You got to squeeze her, don’t tease her, never leave her ... you got na na na ... try a little tenderness," (or words to that effect), all I could visualize was Duckie lip synching that song to Andie in the record store!

Which brings me to tonight’s Friday Random Ten. It’s a Molly Ringwald night. Load up your three favorite soundtracks ("The Breakfast Club," "Sixteen Candles," and "Pretty In Pink"), hit random, and play the first ten.

Vapors - I Think I’m Turning Japanese
Otis Redding - Try A Little Tenderness
Oingo Boingo - Wild Sex
Duane Eddy - Peter Gunn Theme
OMD - If You Leave
Psychedelic Furs - Pretty In Pink
Altered Images - Happy Birthday
The Smiths - Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
Belouis Some - Round, Round
Thompson Twins - If You Were Here

Bonus Track:

David Bowie - Young Americans

No comments: