Saturday, July 09, 2005

Some days it's really rewarding to be a smartass.

From the Food Whore:

I was called out to a customer's table last night.

"You raised the price of coffee."

"We sure did."

"Well don't you think $1.50 for a cup of coffee is pretty high?"

"By industry standards it's average to low, actually."

"Well I think it's terrible."

"I am sorry. But you know, everything has to go up - it's just how the economy works."

"Yes, but coffee should be a giveaway. It should be what entices people in here."

"Actually I am more concerned about having all the good food doing the enticing."

"Well I am going to really have to consider if I want coffee or not."

"Tell me, how many times has your waiter refilled your coffee?"

"What?"

"How many times have you had your cup of coffee refilled."

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"How many?"

"4."

"And is that pretty standard for you? To have that many refills?"

"Yes but..."

"Well then in all reality, you're only paying $.38 cents a cup and I would say that's one helluva deal considering you don't have to make the coffee or wash the cup. You don't even have to clean your own table or wash your own dinner dishes."

His face got red with anger and his wife covered her mouth to hide a giggle. Just then the busboy walked by with a pot of coffee.

"If you get another refill it will knock the price down to $.30 cents... wanna give it a go?", I asked.

And then I patted him on the shoulder and walked away.

Some days it's really rewarding to be a smartass.

No comments: