Friday, June 15, 2012

Random Thoughts For Today

I haven't posted much lately. The politics part of my blog is lacking in material, mainly because I have become detached from it all. The obscene amount of corporate and individual billionaire dollars being pumped into the political spectrum, including elections, belies the fact that this country is supposed to be "of the people," etc. We have reached an unhealthy level of tolerance for monied opinions, regardless of whether there is a spark of truth to the opinions or not. I mean, the decision in North Carolina (or whatever place it was, excuse me if I don't feel like dredging up the exact place) to dismiss critical science on the rise of tide levels because it would affect the ability to build on land that would be unsustainable in the future, just galls me. To knowingly ignore science for the sake of raking in a few bucks, and unfortunately at the unknowing buyer's loss, doesn't seem to strike political leaders as wrong. I almost don't have the stomach to deal with such lies for the sake of a buck, especially when the buck goes to the one that already has all the bucks.

One good thing is that my daughter will graduate from college tomorrow, receiving her B.A. I look forward to attending the festive occasion, even if it means getting up at an ungodly hour as the ceremonies start at 8 a.m.

One bad thing, I no longer have a job. Yes, I have joined the ranks of the unemployed. It's a scary feeling being 60 and not having any money coming in. I am almost contemplating putting up a PayPal contribution link to help get by for now.

3 comments:

Tony said...

Wow, Carrie, your news about your job threw me for a loop. I went back to work full time last October. I was getting bored. I'm sure you will be able to find employment rather quickly. I was fortunate, I always had the offer to work, I just needed to make the call I was ready. Enjoy the graduation. tell Mercedes I'm proud of her accomplishment, and now it's her turn to support you.

Carrie said...

I am up SOOOOO fucking early to get to my daughter's college graduation.

As for my job situation, ironically enough, at court yesterday, an attorney on the other side of a matter with my firm was talking to one of the attorneys from my office, and he was lamenting the loss of his litigation paralegal, and my attorney was like "well, ours just walked off the job yesterday." Now, I swear this is true, the other attorney actually offered him $1,000 as a finder's fee just to get my phone number to contact me!!! Needless to say, my guy declined the money but said he would give me the attorney's phone number, which I called ... pretty sure I've got a new job starting soon.

Since 1984, I have never had to call anyone to get a job. Every time I had quit an established firm, I would get a telephone call a few days later from some attorney telling me he "heard' I was not working, and would offer me a job.

I just didn't think the magic was still there after being on one job for 12 years and being 60. So much for age and duration, eh? LOL!

Tony said...

I did not think you would be unemployed for long. Great news.