Sunday, February 28, 2010

O Canada ...


As Gretzky said, a gold medal round between Canada and the USA would be great for the sport.

I haven't seen a game played as intensely since the 1980's. For the hockey fan, this game was about as good as it gets. For the newcomer watching ... I hope you feel the passion for the sport that we fans already do.

I wanted Team USA, but I am ok that Team Canada won.

Congratulations.

UPDATE: It appears Obama and Prime Minister Harper bet a little beer on this game.

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama owes his Canadian counterpart a case of beer.

Obama made the friendly wager with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper before Sunday's U.S.-Canada gold medal game. Canada beat the United States 3-2 on Sidney Crosby's overtime goal.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said President Barack Obama had a case of Yuengling, a Pennsylvania regional brew, riding on the game. Harper wagered 24 bottles of Molson. The beer battle pitted Canada's oldest brewery against the oldest beer maker in the United States. Molson Canada is now a subsidiary of Molson Coors Brewing Co., a marriage of Molson and Denver-based Coors.

There was no word on where the cross-border exchange would occur.

1 comment:

Tony said...

Well this is a topic where we agree 100%. What a great game. The intensity to the very end. The players who show great sportsmanship. I'm sure hockey will grow as a sport tomorrow just as it did after the 1980 USA Gold Medal win. Of course I would have preferred a USA win, but what a game. I almost feel like I need a cigarette, LOL!