Saturday, October 15, 2011

"Deadbeat Illinois"

Great title (from this article). On the way back to O'Hare, there was a sign facing those leaving O'Hare going into Chicago that, I paraphrase, said Welcome to Chicago, We're Broke. It was a bit longer in phrase, but I really can't remember it other than it struck me odd as a "welcome to my city" type sign, because of its rather blatant slap. Most "welcome to my city" signs are upbeat, and if it has something important, it is usually highlighted in the welcome sign.

Drowning in deficits, Illinois has turned to a deliberate policy of not paying billions of dollars in bills for months at a time, creating a cycle of hardship and sacrifice for residents and businesses helping the state carry out some of the most important government tasks.

No comments: