Thursday, November 11, 2010

Just Another Stroll In The Neighborhood

I had a rather interesting day today, the kind that makes me love living in the neighborhood that I do. But, the first part had nothing to do with where I live.

I'm not sure how many of my readers are aware of what "flash mobs" are about. They sort of hit the scene a few years back, generally just to make a simple but silent statement. They grew into different types of scenarios, including the ones that appeared around the world on the 25th anniversary of "Thriller" in 2008.



This morning's flash mob that I read about and watched was an opera flash mob! It was such a cool way to start the day.



Went to work for a few hours, then came home because basically, everything was closed and not a whole lot had to be done. So, since it was like 3:30, I decided to walk to the market to pick up a few items that I don't get at the health food store (like my rum, candles, sponges, diet Coke, etc.). I thought the "little" bus was not running since it was a holiday which is why I decided to walk (with my bum knees no less), and half way to the store, I saw the "little" bus and was like, damn, I didn't have to walk. So, I figured I'd get in and out, and I'd at least be able to take the "little" bus home and not have to walk. But, when I got out of the store, I realized I had just missed it, and since they changed it from running every fifteen minutes to every half hour, I just decided to slowly walk back home (about 6 city size blocks). I get just across the street and run into someone that manages the old apartment building I used to live in, so we start chatting up things, and before you know it, an hour had passed (with me standing the whole time with my shopping tote -- it has wheels though). Finally, it turns dark, and the El Rey theater lights go on (signaling a show is probably happening later tonight) and we say bye and move on. Then I get to the end of the block where I have to turn and go up one more block to my apartment at the end, and I run into the two security guards that work at the El Rey, having some coffee at Starbucks at the corner. So I pull up my bag, and hang out for like another half hour just going over things, catching up since I hadn't seen them in a few weeks (I ride the bus home with one of them, when she is usually on her way to work!). Told them about Zaire's suspension for the prank, and we all had a good laugh. Then it was time for them to get their asses to work, so I turn the corner and start walking. I see a couple with a little baby and a large stroller. The baby was walking and the stroller was empty and I made a comment like "you can just wheel me home, my feet hurt so much!" Of course, we started talking, and the funny thing was that this couple had their apartment recently redone on an HGTV series call The Antonio Treatment, which episode I had seen (but, honestly I did not recognize the couple from just walking up the block). So, I made a couple of new friends on that walk, not to mention maybe getting a hit vis-a-vis an apartment design make-over!

Got home in time for cocktail hour! I definitely love my neighborhood! (But, boy do my feet hurt!)

No comments: