Tuesday, May 04, 2010

4 Dead In Ohio, 40 Years Later



Aside from 9/11, the event that most shaped my values and views in life was the Kent State shootings, which happened 40 years ago, today.

Not to take anything away from the 1968 assassinations of Martin Luther King, and Robert F. Kennedy, but to have the National Guard, made up of American citizens, fire on, and kill, protesting students on an American university campus, sent chills down my spine as to what this country under the rulership of Republicans led by the psycho Richard M. Nixon could to to anyone with a dissenting view. Pales in comparison to Bush, any day (except for the lying and going to war part - but Bush and his regime keep their killing to "insurgents" and "aliens" and sort of stay away from killing American students on campus).

A turning point in my life, to be sure.

4 comments:

Arno said...

I cannot ever forget this. My eleven-year-old awareness was galvanized by this, My Lai, The King and Kennedy jobs. I'm a worry-wart, I fear we will see more.
Thus it ever was, I guess. Pullman riots, Birmingham, etc., etc.,...
Oh...Were you in So. Cal during the Santa Barbara oil spill? It was another bad event that turned alot of people's head in a good direction. Send some good vibes to the Gulf on me, Good Bartender.

Carrie said...

-----------> sending Arno a shot of Patron and some Guinness to hold him up during the Gulf Spill.

I was a senior in high school when Kent State happened. I was so jaded by it, that for our senior class party, of which I was in charge of the food, I ordered a large flat cake, with a mound on one end. After it was iced, we put little soldiers with guns on the top of the mound pointing toward the flat part of the cake, and little people splattered on the flat part of the cake! And this was at an all girl Catholic school (they were much more progressive back then). At least my school supported our activities with regard to demonstrations against the war and the civil rights movement, and encouraged discussion about Viet Nam and other topics. Hell, I remember one teach when I was in junior high (remember when we had junior high and not "middle school"?) talking about Viet Nam wayyyyyyy before I even understood what was going on. But, then again, I'm from California and we tend to be liberal out here.

Arno said...

Ahhh..refreshing, uplifting, thanks!
Believe it or not, I gathered my own liberal beliefs at the foot of my Southern Baptist elders who were also more progressive then...geez, what happened?

Carrie said...

I really can't say what happened, other than Christianity morphed from the teachings of Christ as a benevolent, forgiving prophet to an armed killing machine bent on destroying all those on the globe that don't believe in Jesus as God incarnate. The hypocrisy is amazing, and the stupefaction of Christians in their inability to articulate their belief system in any way that comports with reality, especially the reality of their "bible" is astounding. Intelligent people run screaming from Christians these days, sure that "cooties" will rub off on them!

There was a time which Christians were actually intellectual, but they have become the religion of the bigoted, uninformed, illiterate and uneducated segment of society.