Sunday, December 07, 2008

Pearl Harbor, Remembered


Today is the day the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, Hawai'i.


I figure if this date has never been made a national holiday, 9/11 will also never be made a day we do not work.


Funny, when I used to live on Oahu and took the bus to work (yes, even back in the 1970's I was still using mass transit, on the island, no less!), when I'd get into Honolulu, at practically every stop an old couple (usually with a New Jersey accent) would ask the bus driver if this was "the bus that went to Pearl Harbor?" After all these years in Los Angeles, and seeing the temperment of the L.A. bus drivers (most are asses) I was always impressed by the patience of the Hawai'ian bus drivers. Me? I would have shot the 100th couple that asked me that question, damn it!


List of those killed.




No comments: