Wednesday, April 27, 2005

An Ode To My Republican Ex-Best-Friend

I first met Tony in 1994, two years into Bill Clinton's first presidency. He hadn't become apoplectic yet. When he was a delegate to the 1996 Republican National Convention in San Diego, I drove down and took him for his first trip to Ensenada. He still wasn't apoplectic yet. We bet each other a plane ticket (he to Los Angeles, me to Manhattan) depending on who won the election. I enjoyed my trip to New York City.

Flash forward to Dubya's first illegal installation in the White House. Tony's party turned on him for some transgression, and that was the end of his political career. I had hoped that Tony would see the light of day at that point, but I was mistaken.

Tony and I began parting ways after 9/11, when he called to tell me he hoped the United States would "nuke 'em all in Afghanistan." The vitriol that emanated from Tony subsequent to 9/11 irritated me, at first, and eventually alienated me altogether.

By the 2004 election, let's just say I had gone apoplectic! I believed in 2000 that the election was tainted, and I firmly believe the 2004 election suffered from the same fate. I was buoyed by the exit polls that had Kerry ahead of Bush, and deeply saddened when, once again, the outcome of the election was not as it should have been.

Beginning with linking Saddam Hussein to 9/11 and WMD, to the outright lying and manipulation of the media by this administration, I was dumbfounded that people actually bought this crap.

Leading up to the election, Tony and I exchanged several e-mails. The first disturbed me, in that it was almost a caricature of a typical "dittohead" reading off the RNC talking points, as follows: "I can't read the articles from the NYTimes because I don't subscribe. I won't subscribe even though its free because I won't take part in liberal propaganda that does not accurately report the news. Just like Dan Rather on CBS. Furthermore it does appear that more Americans see that George W. Bush is the right man for the job, have you seen the 3 polls released today, he's at least 8 points ahead in all of them. NJ is neck and neck, which should be a solid Democratic State. The dems are in turmoil, and I love it. I simply can't fathom the thought of John Kerry as President, and I really can't understand what there is about him that makes anyone want to vote for him. He never has a clear view of any issue, he speaks without emotion, and the only he knows about earning a living is to say 'I do.' At least Bill Clinton had personality. Also if you look at the polls state by state W still has the electoral college solid. As for what the Europeans think of our President, I really couldn't give a shit, nor should he. He needs to focus on what is best for the US, I'm sick and tired of worrying about France and Germany. What have they ever done for us, NOTHING!! They need us more then we need them. Right now we have 31 allies in our fight on terror. Do you know how many allies we had after WWII? I'll tell you...we had 7 allies, so I think more nations are on our side then your side is willing to admit. I live closer to where the 9-11 attacks happened, and let me tell you something, I, and most people in this region, feel much safer with W at the helm, then with Kerry at the helm. I never would have thought that NJ, NY, and even MA (Kerry's home state) would still be this close so close to election. That should tell you something. I would love to see MA go for Bush, even more then my home state of NJ. Don't be surprised if Arnie carries CA for Bush either, that's even a possibility."

When I countered the e-mail with what was already in the media as factual evidence, I was treated with the following reply: "Now for all the so called facts you sent me, they are just liberal talking points, which you accuse me of using when I respond to you. I do not believe the President lied to the American people when talked about WMD's in Iraq. I do believe now that he was given misinformation, but that does not mean he lied. Your candidate, John Kerry, also saw the same information, and voted for the war in Iraq, and also at various times, depending on who he is speaking to, has said the world is a safer place without Saddam. It was only about a month ago when he said if he knew then what he knows now, he still would have voted for the war. Now he says wrong war, wrong place, wrong time. No matter how he tries to spin his inconsistency, the American people see through it as the polls show. When asked who they believe more a vast majority say Bush. You can read all the liberal spin you want and send me all the liberal bs you want, but I will not change my support of this administration. I will continue my conservative websites and news from Fox and believe my true conservative convictions are right for this country. That is who I am. If I remember correctly we did bet on the election and I did lose, but not this time. I thank God that Bush was President when 9/11 took place. If Gore was President I'm sure we would have had more attacks." This was followed up with: "We are going to win, because the American people can see through the smoke and mirrors of Kerry/Edwards. If there is so much substance behind what they say, why isn't it helping them? They have the media on their side. Remember Dan Rather? www.danrathermustgo.com !"

I haven't spoken to Tony since.

I've created this blog because I am sick and tired of misinformation passing as factually true accounting of events from people like Tony.

3 comments:

Bob said...

Welcome to blogville!
Perseverence
in the face of indifference
is the key.

Carrie said...

Wow, my first COMMENT! Thanks, DJ Rix.

Anonymous said...

A friend you can dismiss but what do you do with a son? All I can do is keep my mouth shut and pray because, other than his politics, he is intelligent and funny.