Thursday, April 12, 2012

Watching The Dems Squirm Over Hillary Rosen's Comments About Ann Romney, Oh My!

UPDATE: 4/15/12: Since the piece below has been rocking the boat for both sides, and with the Dems joining the Rethugs by saying Hillary Rosen was out of bounds by making such a statement about Ann Romney, I bring you the following from Think Progress. As always, for every side of the mouth Mittens says something, there is always an equally opposite statement coming out of the other side of his mouth!

Romney and allies cried that Democrats had declared “war on moms” after a Democratic strategist said Romney’s wife hadn’t worked a day in her life. Romney’s camp said this meant Democrats don’t value stay at home moms and motherhood, while they believe that women who stay home are doing real work.

But for every Romney action, there is an equal and opposite Romney reaction, and this morning, MSNBC’s Chris Hayes dug up a video of Romney from just January in which the Republican presidential candidate said he wanted to require women who receive welfare to work outside the home, even if their children are very young. He told a New Hampshire audience:

“I wanted to increase the work requirement,” said Romney. “I said, for instance, that even if you have a child 2 years of age, you need to go to work. And people said, ‘Well that’s heartless.’ And I said, ‘No, no, I’m willing to spend more giving day care to allow those parents to go back to work. It’ll cost the state more providing that daycare, but I want the individuals to have the dignity of work.”
===============================
This caught my eye this morning. I have mostly stayed silent with respect to the Republican circus that has been the nominating process for the next candidate for president (all of them are ignorant pieces of shit, as far as I am concerned). I don't particularly care who wins the election this year. I will still sit it out and not vote. I am not a fan of Obama, and quite frankly, I could give two shits if the stupid people take over. To me, that just means we crash and burn a lot faster, and we all know that we can't rebuild until we break. This current trend of plugging the holes with our fingers (or putting our fingers in our ears) is not stopping the bleeding of this country, or the world, so I, for one, am on the side that takes us down as fast as possible.

With that in mind, I do have to come to the defense of Hilary Rosen, who has both the Democrats and Republicans all trying to get their underwear out of their asses.

President Obama’s top political advisers moved rapidly late Wednesday night to distance the president from a Democratic strategist and adviser to the Democratic National Committee who said Mitt Romney’s wife, Ann, had “never worked a day in her life.”

[snip]

And then, in a commentary on The Huffington Post, Ms. Rosen wrote a long defense of her comments, accusing critics of “faux anger” aimed at scoring political points.

“I don’t need lectures from the R.N.C. on supporting women and fighting to increase opportunities for women; I’ve been doing it my whole career,” Ms. Rosen wrote. “If they want to attack me and distract the public’s attention away from their nominee’s woeful record, it just demonstrates how much they just don’t get it.”

She added: “I have no judgements about women who work outside the home vs. women who work in the home raising a family. I admire women who can stay home and raise their kids full time. I even envy them sometimes. It is a wonderful luxury to have the choice. But let’s stipulate that it is NOT a choice that most women have in America today.”

Amen to that. I raised my daughter and worked. My daughter is a single mother who had been raising her son while attending college, but on welfare, food stamps, and pell grants, plus some scholarships (no help from the father, that's for sure). In my time, and in today's culture, women being able to stay at home and NOT work is an anomaly, not the norm. Well, unless you are the .01% like the Romney family, who can afford multiple cars, homes, boats, horses, and probably a lot of nannies. The rest of us 99% in America have to get by, raising a family with both parents working ... and in today's economy, with probably both parents on unemployment because the Romney's of this country "like firing people." I don't care if Mrs. Romney raised five kids or ten kids ... she did so with the kind of money monthly most of us will never see in a lifetime.

UPDATE: 4/13/12: I knew I knew the name "Hillary Rosen" but could not place where I knew it from. And although I concur with the comments and the intent of the comments she made, I realize now (thanks to an post over at AMERICAblog) that this is the same Hillary Rosen with the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) the group responsible for pushing the lawsuits against individual file sharers, the one who brought down the original Napster, and helped create the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) of which even I have had experience with by Blogger taking down a post of mine claiming it was in violation of the DMCA. I hate this woman! I am sure in by archives I have a lot of posts really badmouthing her.

No comments: