Sunday, February 12, 2012

RIP, Whitney - Tonight's Grammy's Will Be All About You

I remember the first time I ever heard Whitney Houston on the radio. I was just back to Los Angeles, after having lived for a few years in the Portland, Oregon area. I was driving up Laurel Canyon in my Honda Quaalude (LOL), with the moon-roof open, and "Saving All My Love For You" came on. I got chills and the hair on my arms just stood up. That voice was just unbelievably unique.



Her follow-up hit, "How Will I Know" was pop and bouncy, and I truly loved the song, especially dancing to it.



I totally enjoyed, as well, her followup album, which included "I Wanna Dance With Somebody."



Of course, one of her biggest hits was an old Dolly Parton song, which I actually enjoyed Dolly's version when she had recorded it, but Whitney's version is by far, a standard.



To me, her rendition of the Star Spangled Banner at the Superbowl halftime show, during the Gulf War, was the version for all to aspire to.





Rest in peace, baby. Your life somehow had the demons, and you have left us way to soon.

2 comments:

Bob said...

Was she the last of real church-trained soul singers? This girl didn't need her voice double-tracked.

Carrie said...

I don't know the answer to that question. There are still gospel singers out there that cross over.

Notice how Sony upped the price of her greatest hits album from $7.99 to $12.99?

And people wonder why I download music and not pay for it.