Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"Hey, Hey, We're The Monkees" RIP Davy



Well, I was definitely a Monkees fan. It was very weird that one of my neighbor's looked just like Mike Nesmith (he even wore a knit cap). I don't remember what night they were on, but we (my sister and I) would go next door to the neighbors' house (they were a very young couple, so they like the show as well) and watch the show each week. I was in what was then called junior high, probably 8th or 9th grade, and I do believe that my first crush was on Davy Jones (I really didn't have any crushes on any of the Beatles at that time).

Years later, Davy actually recorded one of the songs that my family owned the publishing rights to (but for the life of me, I cannot remember the name). It was on the B side of one of his hits as an individual artist (maybe Rainy Jane, but not sure).

Daydream Believer


He was 66, died in his sleep of an apparent massive heart attack after tending to his horses.

RIP.

===========================================
Find Davy Jones music and memorabilia and save by using a Buy.com promotional code.
===========================================

2 comments:

Arno said...

I was very saddened when I heard this. The Monkees really never got the respect they deserve because of the way they were brought about. Michael Nesmith has a streak of genius, he and Peter Tork were fine instrumentalists, and even though I think Mickey Dolenz had the perfect Southern California pop voice, Davy's "undisciplined" sort of vocals were perfect for so many of their songs.

Carrie said...

I agree with you regarding respect comment, but then again, the era (1960's) brought out the "bubblegum" type of music that was generally pre-produced using studio musicians to back up a front group of mashed together singers and performers. The 1970's started to unravel that production as more and more artists took control over their songs, their producers and their musicians.