Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ooops ... Guess Shutting Down Megaupload Has Other Consequences For Our Government

You know, if any of you out there really still believes that America is a democratically run country/government, I swear I will sell you the Brooklyn Bridge, damn it.

US prosecutors have said that data belonging to Megaupload users and stored by third parties could be deleted as soon as Thursday.

Users have been unable to access data since the file-sharing service was raided.

The warning was made in a letter filed by the US Attorney's Office.

Megaupload's lawyer Ira Rothken told the Associated Press that at least 50 million users had data which could be deleted.

This is data that has absolutely zero to do with any DCMA infringement. After the internet blackout to oppose the tyranny of the bills that were being bandied about in trying to stifle/control the internet, the American government shuts down a site, in New Zealand that affects millions of users, with probably only a small percentage of them subject to a real DCMA take down (as I have already had one on my blog, so I know what they can do).

China is looking awfully good as a new place to live.

2 comments:

Arno said...

I hope the internet genie is far enough out of the bottle to somehow escape the snare of these $#!+$. I have my doubts, tho...

Carrie said...

One never knows, does one. Money talks, though, as we have begun to verify with our own eyes, thanks to SCOTUS and Citizen's United.

Hey, how about that Lego in space? LOL! Very cool.