Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Doo Wop Broad!

I used to have an online screen name that many people related to because of my music collection, Doo Wop Broad. Yeah, stop laughing! But one of the things that was unique about me was the rather large collection I had of obscure doo wop songs.

Although I know of it growing up as a kid, and listening to these groups, I was reintroduced to it by Billy Vera when he would sit in on a radio stint in Los Angeles during the 1980's, and he would play records from his vast collection of obscure doo wop.

Since I probably taped, I don't know, maybe 100 to 200 hours of his shows, I not only have songs by these obscure groups, but I have Billy's personal take, i.e., why this group, how many records they made (sometimes like only three in existence of some Brooklyn group and Billy and his friend have two of the three, LOL). Back when Napster was just coming into existence, I took advantage of trying to see if I could find these obscure artists ... and the answer was, um, yeah!

Enjoy some Paragons, (Let's Start All Over Again; Hey Little Schoolgirl) from Brooklyn!





The Passions doing "Gloria" (originally done by the Cadillacs)



Original

2 comments:

Bob said...

Whenever I played "Little Darlin'" by The Gladiolas on the radio, I announced, "I consider it a privilege & honor to bring you this song."

Carrie said...

I know the feeling. Obscure doo wop IS a privilege.