Thursday, January 13, 2011

Why So Little Posting

I haven't posted in a few days. I've been overwhelmed by the personal problems facing my family. My daughter has now been charged with criminal misdemeanor charges for battery on a minor (four counts) which is just ridiculous. She is supposed to be "arraigned" the day before her trial starts on the DCFS case, which, if she beats the charges, would tend to make the criminal prosecution that much harder (because in criminal cases, you have to prove beyond a "reasonable doubt" while in civil cases, it is by the "preponderance of the evidence").

I'm comfortable with my trial team. DCFS lawyers are re-drafting the complaint against my daughter to make it more palatable (which probably means they will drop it down to simple neglect, but I can't say for sure). So, instead of trial starting at 8:30 a.m. on 1/20, we will be looking at the new charges and deciding what to do. If we don't agree to the new charges, trial will start at 1:30 p.m. on 1/20.

I'm drained, emotionally and physically. Not seeing my grandson on our regular schedule just cuts me to the bone. When I'm on the bus and doing errands, I feel his absence. When I go to Johnny Rockets, I'm constantly asked "where's the little man?" I hurt for my daughter not seeing her son every day. I hurt for Zaire having to live somewhere he is not comfortable with and now having to attend a "new" school totally out of the blue. He misses his home, his kittens, his personal belongings, his toys, his grandma, his life.

At trial, though, both sides of my daughter's family will represent, on her father's side and her mother's side. We will be a formidable presence, to be sure.

No comments: