Friday, June 04, 2010

The Decline Of The Amateur Blogosphere

Only five years ago, the progressive political blogosphere was still predominately a gathering place for amateur (that is, unpaid or barely paid) journalists and activists unattached to existing media companies and advocacy organizations. Those days are almost completely over. Now, the progressive blogosphere is almost entirely professionalized, and inextricably linked to existing media companies and advocacy organizations.

This transformation has been brought about by three developments (fellow bloggers, please forgive me in advance if I fail to mention your or your blog as an example):

  1. Established media companies and advocacy organizations hiring bloggers to blog, full-time: The Washington Post, New York Times, Politico, Center for American Progress, Salon, CQ, Atlantic, Washington Monthly, the American Independent News Network, and more have all hired hired bloggers to blog, full-time. Many of these bloggers, such as fivethirtyeight, Unclaimed Territory, or the Carpetbagger Report, operated their blogs independently of any established organization, and were key hubs in the "amateur" or "independent" progressive blogosphere. Now, those bloggers do pretty much the same thing they did before, they just (quite understandably) do it for a much better salary from an established organization.
  2. Previously "amateur" progressive blogs became professional operations: Another trend, less common than the first, has been for blogs like Daily Kos, Fire Dog Lake and Talking Points Memo to transform themselves from hobbies into professional media outlets and / or activist organizations. These blogs have increased their revenue stream to the point where they can hire multiple full-time staff.
  3. Bloggers translate blogging into consulting and advocacy work: Many bloggers have also found a way to make a living by combining their blogging with blog-friendly advocacy and consulting work. This is actually the path I am currently following, as are, I believe, Oliver Willis, Atrios, Jerome Armstrong, and more. This involves finding part-time or full time work in politics that is conducive to still maintaining a full-time blog (which also generates a part-time income).
Add up all three of these paths, not even to mention the emergence of the utterly dominant Huffington Post, and the progressive political blogosphere is now both thoroughly professionalized and integrated into the progressive media an political ecosystem.

[snip]

I want to make it clear that I know there are still "amateur" independent blogs around. Also, I do not begrudge a single person for taking any of these various routes to professionalism. Hell, I have wanted to be a professional blogger since Kos first began selling ads in late 2003. I am simply describing a trend that has, quite obviously, been underway for years now. In fact, my first post ever at Open Left was on this very subject).


This is a must read piece. I tried to post a comment on it, but after three tries (and being told "it" couldn't find the piece I was commenting on [??]) I simply gave up.

As I have commented here before, I started blogging in 2005 because of my anger over the Bush Administration. My first post was cross-posted at MyDD as well (which, gave my blog about 1,000 hits its first day, a feat I have yet to re-create). But, as Chris Bowers noted in the above post, many good independent bloggers have joined up with bigger institutions, or joined together, and it's hard for the rest of us to compete with their resources, their ability to research and to break stories. I've adjusted my blog accordingly, and now include more personal stuff about music, sports and life in general. I will still blog because I love the audience, and the chance to just write what I want (even though I do write for a living, anyway).

2 comments:

Arno said...

I was a bit of a latecomer (?) to the internet, didn't get online until 2000. I've noticed the changes in blogs and blogging, too. Print media, as much as I used to love it, is dying and blogs are taking up the slack. Not necessarily a bad thing, either.
I enjoy the megablogs, but I'm always on the look for the more independent voices. Like CB&G.
Keep up the great work!

Carrie said...

A bit early, but passing Arno a pint of his fave ------>[_]o