Thursday, June 10, 2010

Chicago Wins First Stanley Cup In 49 Years


Bruce Bennett - Getty Images


AP Photo/Matt Slocum

Bruce Bennett - Getty Images

Last nights game was awesome. First off, as you all know I was rooting for the Hawks to win. They were up 3-2 on Philly, but playing in Philly, and home ice had been an advantage in the series thus far.

Secondly, I had my show, So You Think You Can Dance, on at 8 p.m., and they were picking the 10 finalists (down from 20 in the previous seasons - why, I don't know), so the game had to be over by then, or I was going to have to do some taping.

Lastly, I have something to do on Friday evening with my daughter which will prevent me from watching a game seven, so I needed it to END at game six!

The damn game went into overtime, which of course, was exciting as hell. The entire game was fast paced with lots of hitting and back and forth. The kind of game hockey fans generally appreciate.

In overtime, the winning goal was sort of surreal, as the puck slid past Leighton and stuck in the net. The light never went on, there was no call from the refs, only Patrick Kane knew he hit it in, and dropped his stick, and skated towards his goalie, his hands up and screaming like a banshee. I was like, did that go in? It took a few minutes for the instant replays to show that it was, in fact, a goal! Happy that the team won, I put the remainder of the game on record, and went back to SYTYCD, and after THAT show was over, watched the celebration after the win. I'm ok that Toews (pronounced "tays") got the Conn Smythe (MVP of series) but I really thought it should have gone to Antii Neimi, their rookie goaltender from Finland. And I am glad Hossa FINALLY won a cup!

Now that hockey season is over, twiddling thumbs waiting for football to start.

No comments: