Saturday, May 01, 2010

Largest Demonstration Against Arizona Immigration Law



As many as 60,000 immigrants and their supporters join a peaceful but boisterous march through downtown to City Hall, waving flags and holding signs blasting the harsh new immigration law in Arizona.

I was planning on attending, but my doctor could only schedule my appointment at 11:00 a.m., and the rally started at 10:00 a.m.

My friend, Linda, called and wanted to know if she should save me a place (Linda's parents are from Mexico, became nationalized citizens later on, and Linda was born here in the U.S.), but, sadly, I had to tell her that I could not make it.

Here are some pictures, though, that we took a few years back when there was a similar march on May 1 in Los Angeles (which was bigger than this one).



Zaire and some of the people hanging out on the corner of Wilshire and La Brea, unfolding an American flag.


Zaire with another kid, holding the flag aloft.


A view from where we were, anticipating the crowd of marchers that you can see about a mile in the distance. It was awesome to view because the line of sight goes for about four miles, and all we could see were packed people in the streets.




Some of the people as they were marching by. This went on for at least an hour. They turned up La Brea, and then dispersed. It was an interesting day.

No comments: