Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Happy 231st, America!


The 4th of July holiday was never big in my family. I have seen countless fireworks displays in every fashion, from small to big, during my childhood and adolescence. The only part of the holiday I actually enjoyed was having the sparklers, and watching folks set off a few fireworks in the streets and backyards.


There are generally no parades here in Los Angeles celebrating the 4th. I remember a few growing up that were sparsely attended, but nothing like the Rose Parade or even the Doo Dah Parade. One year, when I was 19 or 20, I drove with a friend of mine to visit my soon to be boyfriend and later my first husband, who was going to college in Utah, Cedar City to be exact. What a small place, especially when college was out for the summer break. There was a 4th of July parade down the main street the year I was there. Pretty quaint, especially for someone from "the big city."


After most fireworks were banned in Los Angeles, other than staged displays, you had to "go" somewhere to view them. As an adult, I couldn't be bothered. I sort of participated in these events for a short period of time when my daughter was young. She tended to spend the holidays with her father, so I was spared having to go to these gawd awful events most of the time.


However, in my 30's, I developed an interest in the history of the United States, especially concerning the Revolutionary War and how the U.S. became a country that declared its independence. Ever since then, I've always enjoyed this day, not for any fireworks, or barbecue or parade, or even the television marathons (and why is it that television puts on marathons during a holiday, anyway?), but because it truly makes me proud to be an American after all our ancestors did to create this country's government and identity.


I'm not going to spoil this day by commenting on the current state of our very corrupt government, especially since it depresses me to no end.


Instead, today I wish America and all Americans a Happy Birthday.

No comments: