Sunday, January 21, 2007

Music That Sends Chills Down My Spine

What we found in a nutshell is when people experience chills, there was a huge range of activity all over the brain. It lit up like a Christmas tree.

Music seems to activate pleasure networks that are typically activated by food, water and sex. Why would music have the same effects on the brain as biological experiences integral to survival?

Now I understand my desire to hang out, after I die, with the musicians and singers of the universe rather than the esteemed intellectuals. No disrespect to the smart set, for I do get a keen high from great dialogue. But music, that goes straight to the heart, and apparently, to more parts of the brain than originally believed.

Gives new meaning to the phrase "sends chills down my spine."

No comments: