Monday, October 16, 2006

It's Still An End Of An Era

"... as many people will say they did drugs with Dee Dee Ramone as claimed to have slid naked through the mud at Woodstock."



I won't claim to have done drugs with any of the Ramones, nor was I at Woodstock, despite being old enough, but I did see them in San Diego at SDSU's Aztec Center back in 1979, when they opened for, of all bands, The Babys!

It was so trippy, because that was back when none of the songs really had a start or an end, and you didn't really know when the new song started except for the "1, 2, 3, 4" count off.





The end of the disco era, and the start of new music, which at the time was all combined into the "punk" genre. Eventually, that split into "new wave," which included Talking Heads, (which spawned one of my favorite bands, Tom Tom Club), Elvis Costello and Blondie, and "punk" which included Ramones, New York Dolls and Sex Pistols.

I've never been to CBGBs. Nor have I been to any Hard Rock Cafe.

1 comment:

Bob said...

"Pure" punk didn't last long - it couldn't; quickly become style over substance. I found myself paying more attention to what was coming out of England & California. The former had some class consciousness & the latter had the "California Dream" to beat to death.